You'll find additional information about Bryant’s reopening on this page.

Frequently asked questions

The following FAQs are provided to help you stay informed about our reopening plan.

In addition, the Executive Summary Preliminary Plan, which contains a detailed overview of the full reopening plan that is under review by state regulators, is available here.


I am planning to come to Bryant and heard that Rhode Island is restricting travel from certain states. Is that true?

On June 29, Rhode Island State Governor Gina Raimondo announced that Rhode Island enters Phase 3 of Reopening RI on June 30. Phase 3 includes mandatory 14-day quarantine for anyone coming to Rhode Island from any state with a 5% or greater positivity rate.

How can I find out if travel from my home state will require me to quarantine?

The Rhode Island Department of Health maintains a list of states with a percent positive rate of 5% or higher.

Can students traveling from outside of the 50 U.S. states end their 14-day quarantine early based on a negative COVID-19 test result?

Students traveling to Rhode Island from outside the 50 U.S. states are required to quarantine for 14 days regardless of a negative COVID-19 test result.


You can find the academic calendar here.

Will Graduate Programs return to face-to-face meetings in the Fall 2020 semester?

Yes, the plan is for graduate programs to resume face-to-face meetings beginning in the Fall of 2020. Please note that graduate programs will adhere to University, CDC and WHO guidelines for social distancing and sanitation.

When will classes begin?

Graduate programs will begin alongside undergraduate classes as of August 25. Classes will start on Aug 25, with an end date of Nov. 13, and include a Final examination period of Nov. 14-24.

Will classes be the same?

You will still have the same world-class faculty and outstanding peers. In terms of class format, we will have you in person as frequently as possible. Again, we are committed to adhering to relevant guidelines, including cleaning and social distancing. Based on current guidance, this means that classrooms will be disinfected regularly, and students will be spaced six feet apart. While classrooms have not yet been assigned, this may mean that some students will participate remotely on some days, while others participate in person, on a rotating basis.

What technology will be available?

We are committed to providing the highest quality educational experience for our graduate students. Each classroom will include remote lecture capacity including cameras and microphones in order for classes to be broadcast remotely. Slides will be shared and instructors will use document cameras as needed. Classes will be recorded as well.

What if I get sick?

Each day before coming to campus, you will be required to complete a short survey on banner. If you are not feeling well, we ask that you stay at home. If you are still able to participate in class, you are encouraged to do so remotely until you are well again. We will be prepared to accommodate you using technology listed above.

Extended illnesses (COVID-19 or otherwise) will be handled on a case-by-case basis per normal university guidelines. Accommodations may include an incomplete grade for the course.

What if other students are sick?

Every student will be required to complete a short survey on banner before coming to class. If students are ill, we ask that they stay home. If a student who is ill comes to class, faculty will request that the student leave campus and participate remotely until they are well again. If you notice a student who is obviously unwell, you are encouraged to notify your instructor.

I am an international student. What if I cannot get clearance to come to campus in time for classes?

We want you to know how much we need your participation in our programs. Your unique experiences and perspectives add significantly to discussions and the tenor of the class. If you are unable to get clearance to come to campus, you will be allowed to participate remotely until you receive clearance, using the technology outlined above. For specific concerns, please contact Kaoru Paganelli at (401) 232-6955 or by email at: kpaganel@bryant.edu.

Will the Global Immersion Experience be a part of the MBA program this year?

It is our strong hope that we will be able to travel as we have in the past. We have had several discussions with partners throughout the world who are ready to help facilitate the experience. However, we may need to modify or alter the format of the experience based on health concerns as we get closer to the date of the trip. We will continue to provide updates as we have them. As we make decisions, the safety of our students, faculty and staff remains our highest priority.

What is the grading policy?

While a P/F policy was in place for the Spring 2020 semester during our unexpected transition to remote learning, this policy has been discontinued. Graduate Programs will return to a traditional letter grade system for the fall semester.

Besides social distancing, are there other safety requirements?

Yes. Everyone entering the campus will be required to complete a “Health Tracker Questionnaire” that is available for download from Bryant website. In addition, students will be required to wear face masks while on campus (including while in class). Faculty may be required to stand behind plexiglass while lecturing.  Frequent handwashing will be encouraged, and hand sanitizer stations will be provided at several areas on campus.

Am I subject to a travel ban?

If you have not been in the travel-restricted countries in the 14 days prior to your entry to the U.S., the travel restrictions do not apply to you. Please note that given the fluid nature of COVID-19, circumstances could change suddenly, so it’s recommended that you have a contingency plan.

Note: As of July 22, F-1 international students from the Schengen areas, U.K. or Ireland may seek entry to the U.S. under National Interest Exceptions for Certain Travelers from the Schengen Area, United Kingdom, and Ireland.  Students traveling back from travel-restricted countries must first land in the U.S. at one of the 15 designated airports.

What is Canada-Mexico “essential travel” restrictions?

It’s a joint effort between the countries to mitigate the spread of virus by limiting foreign nationals' entry to the country by land or ferry for “essential travel” only. The restrictions has been extended to August 20, 2020.  Attending an educational institution does meet the essential travel threshold.

I am a returning student.  What do I need to travel back to the U.S.?

Required documents for re-entry to the U.S. are listed in the ICE websiteTravel endorsement (signature on page 2) is valid for one year. If you need a new signature, send an email to oiss@bryant.edu with your travel plan.  If you already have a valid travel signature, you do not have to request new I-20.

When am I expected to arrive on campus?

Sunday, August 2-Wednesday, August 5: New international students who are subject to quarantine and are attending 4MILE@bryant move in starting August 2nd and begin self-quarantine on campus.

August 9: Returning students who are subject to quarantine according to the RI Department of Health start moving in. If needed, returning students can arrive as early as August 5. As of June 10th, the State of RI requires a 14-day quarantine for:

  • Students who arrive from a location outside of the 50 US states or the District of Columbia
  • Students entering Rhode Island from an area still under stay-at-home order or another similar type of restriction.

August 19: New students who are not subject to quarantine move in.

August 23: Returning students who fall into one of these following categories move in.

  • Students who are not subject to quarantine
  • Students who have completed 14-day self-isolation (specific guidelines below)

What is campus quarantine going to look like?

Please refer to Quarantine and Travel from Your Home State.

I am subject to 14-day quarantine. Can I self-quarantine at my family/relative's/friend’s place off-campus before moving in?

Prior to returning to campus, students may complete the 14-day quarantine period at the home of a family member in any state that does not have a stay-at-home order in place.

Can students traveling from outside of the 50 U.S. states end their 14-day quarantine early based on a negative COVID-19 test result?

Students traveling to Rhode Island from outside the 50 U.S. states are required to quarantine for 14 days regardless of a negative COVID-19 test result.

Will I be able to get an F-1 visa and enter the U.S.?

As you are aware there are currently many travel restrictions in place limiting travel to the U.S. Although visa appointments are not immediately available in many areas around the world, students can complete their visa application and make a future appointment.  Visa application is valid for one year.

As the travel situation improves, we hope that more appointments will open and that travel restrictions will be lifted in time for students to arrive in the fall. Please continue to check with your local embassy/consulate (https://www.usembassy.gov) for updates.

I’m a new international student. What if I cannot arrive in time for the start of my program?

We understand that these are challenging circumstances, and there is not a deadline for incoming first-year students to arrive on campus. Any student who arrives late will be subject to the 14-day quarantine per RI Department of Health guidelines.

I’m a returning international student. What is the latest date I can arrive to resume my study if I am delayed by visa issues and/or continued travel restrictions?

We understand that these are challenging circumstances. Returning international students can return to campus until midterm. If students cannot return, students will need to take classes online for the entire semester in order to receive grades and credits. If late-arriving students are subject to the 14-day quarantine per R.I. Department of Health guidelines, because of limited quarantine space on campus during the semester, quarantine arrangements will be made case by case.  Students may need to make arrangements to quarantine off campus in a state that is not on the quarantine state list of Rhode Island.

Can I take classes online from abroad?

Yes.  Bryant University has made a significant investment into technology to have all class sessions be available online via live streaming, and/or recorded for later viewing by lecture capture.

Will I need a new visa to take classes online from abroad or if I decide to take a semester off?

You do not need a student visa if you are studying remotely or not studying at all; however, you will need a valid F-1 visa when you return to the U.S.  Students who decide to take a semester off by not taking courses should be aware how a leave of absence may impact the student’s eligibility for a practical training. Contact OISS if you have questions about your F-1 visa.

As an international student, how will the remote status impact on my visa status?

The Department of Homeland Security allowed students to study online virtually from their home country for last semester.  This same flexibility is extended and will be in place for the fall.  As long as you continue to maintain your F-1 status, including maintaining full-time enrollment and making academic progress, you will be fulfilling F-1 requirements.

Note that this does not apply to students who are starting new degree program.

I am a rising senior. How will this remote status impact my post-completion OPT eligibility?

A rising senior may be eligible to apply for post-completion OPT in Spring 2021 as long as the student meets all the OPT eligibilities.  Note that the student has to be physically in the U.S. to apply for OPT per USCIS.

Can I stay on campus through winter sessions once in-person classes ends in November?

International students will be able to stay on campus through the winter sessions.

Will the tuition be the same if I take online classes from abroad?

Yes. Bryant faculty and staff have worked very hard to ensure the safe continuance of our in person classroom experience. Access to online classes is offered not as an option, but only as a short-term accommodation for students who are ill or who cannot travel to campus due to the pandemic.

Does the health insurance offered by Bryant University cover the coronavirus?

This information is evolving as we navigate this unprecedented situation. The most up-to-date information can be found at www.wellfleetstudent.com.  For specific information for COVID-19, you can follow these steps:

  • Enter “Bryant” in the "Search For Your School" box and select “Bryant University.”  
  • Scroll down to “Forms and Resources” and click the arrow.
  • Find “coronavirus update” at the bottom.

Contact Information:

Kaoru Paganelli, Assistant Director, OISS, kpaganel@bryant.edu

In response to the unprecedented impact of the COVID-19 coronavirus, and its ever changing impact on global travel conditions (such as the current European Union ban on American travel), Bryant University is not able to support, or endorse, Study Abroad for the fall semester of 2020.  Your safety is paramount and we simply cannot countenance our traditional Study Abroad programs this fall. We know how disappointing this decision is for many of you.  While we do not endorse it, we are aware that some students may still make the choice to attend specific programs independently from the University.  If so, we will accept the credits upon review by our Academic Affairs office when you return to Bryant University in the spring of 2021.  For further information, please contact the Study Abroad office (saoffice@bryant.edu)

Do I have to take a leave of absence if I want to go?

Yes, as Bryant is no longer endorsing Study Abroad for the fall, students who wish to continue with their study abroad plans must take a leave of absence. To do so, you should contact the Registrar’s Office.

Does that mean my financial aid won’t travel?

If you choose to take a leave of absence, Bryant financial aid will not travel.

If the provider is charging me a withdraw fee, who is responsible for paying that?

You may defer your study abroad plans until the spring 2021 and/or fall 2021 term; thus, you should not incur any fees (be sure to confirm this with your provider). If do withdraw, however, you will be responsible for any fees incurred.

Can I defer to spring without issues?

You should contact your program provider to discuss deferring to spring. Once you have deferred, update the Study Abroad Office immediately at saoffice@bryant.edu

Is spring abroad guaranteed to happen?I

In this time of uncertainty, we cannot guarantee that study abroad will run in the spring. Decisions will be made based on CDC guidelines and the potential impacts of COVID-19.

If I don’t want to or can’t go in the spring, what are my other options for studying abroad?

You can look at options for the summer or fall of 2021 (pending potential impacts of COVID-19).

Can I still get housing at Bryant this fall?

You should contact ResLife immediately. (ResLife@bryant.edu)

What if I already bought my plane ticket?

You should contact the airline and see what cancellation/deference policies they have in place due to COVID-19.

If I decide to go, my classes were pre-approved, does this mean Bryant might now accept them?

Yes, if your classes are pre-approved, then Bryant will accept them, provided you earn a “C” or better.

What if I didn’t register for classes at Bryant this fall because I was expecting to be abroad?

The Study Abroad Office emailed all students to register for fall classes as an alternative plan. If you did not register yet, you should contact your undergraduate advisor immediately.

Achieving a successful and effective response to the global pandemic by securing testing capacity, enhancing academic technology, and implementing facilities and operations redesign will require Bryant to incur additional unplanned expenditures. It is important to note that these unplanned but necessary expenditures will not be passed on as additional costs or fees for our students and their families.